Meet Mack Monday
Are you concerned about overdevelopment in Newtown, tax increases, traffic, quality of our roads, preserving open space or about any issue that has or will come before the Board of Supervisors (BOS) and other township boards and commissions?
Feel free to attend one of my Meet Mack Monday (MMM) events that I host periodically, usually the 2nd Monday of the month before the first BOS meeting (refer to the Event Calendar for specific dates and access to registration form). I will inform you of items coming up for discussion at public meetings you may not be able to attend and that are not televised. I will listen to your concerns and together with other residents and business owners I will try to come up with solutions to problems that make sense for Newtown as a whole.
DISCLAIMER: Meet Mack Monday meetings are not official Newtown Township meetings. The opinions expressed at Meet Mack Monday events are solely those of John Mack and the attendees of the meeting and do not represent the opinions of any other entity.
This will probably be the last MMM in 2022. The following items/issues are planned to be discussed:
- It's The Budget, Stupid!
The Township Manager recommended that the 2023 budget be adopted by the Board of Supervisors at its December 7, 2022, public meeting.
- What were some of the issues/changes related to the revised 2023 draft budget raised by supervisors at past meetings on November 9 and November 22, 2022? Find all documents related to the 2023 budget in this Google Folder.
- If you were a supervisor, how would you vote on the budget?
- 2021 Audit
- Several questions regarding discrepancies were brought up at the 22 November 2022 BOS meeting. What were these discrepancies and what more do we know/want to know?
- Wawa - What's up with Wawa resurrecting its “Substantive Validity Challenge" to our zoning laws? How is the township preparing to defend its zoning?
- Not On My BYpass – You've heard of NIMBY, which stands for "Not In My Back Yard." I created a NEW FB group called NOMBY - "Not On My BYpass." We're talking about the Newtown Bypass, aka, Rte 332. There has long been opposition to development on the Bypass, which was intended to be a “greenway” when it was first built. Members of this group discuss ways of preventing overdevelopment on the Newtown Bypass. What projects are in the works on the Bypass? Do our zoning ordinances allow these uses? If not, what could been done to nip these in the bud?
- More “Eating Places” coming the Newtown Commons?
- The Bucks County Planning Commission, which was hired to “rezone” the OLI/LI district to allow more uses, recommends “eating place” as one new use. There has been talk of a drive-though eating place. What do you think of this idea and creating a new use for restaurants in the Business Commons?
- Draft Comprehensive Plan
- The Newtown Planning Commission (NTPC) is in the process of reviewing the Draft Comprehensive Plan. What comments have members made and what recommendations will the NTPC make to the BOS?
- When will the public have a chance to weigh in with comments?
- Update on Pedestrian Safety Issues
- North Sycamore Street
- Newtown-Yardley Rd at Tara Blvd
- Lower Dolington Road Trail Update
- Other Agenda Items TBD
At least 17 people attended this Zoom meeting and discussed the following topics:
The following video was presented at the meeting:
After the presentation, the meeting was opened up for discussion. Attendees had comments on several topics, including:
See an edited version of the transcript of the discussion embedded below or download the PDF file here.
See the meeting notes embedded below or download the PDF file here.
- 12 September 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary/Notes
- 11 July 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary/Notes
- 6 June 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary
- 16 May 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary
- 11 April 2022 Meet Mack Monday Summary
- March 7, 2022, Meet Mack Monday Zoom Meeting.
- February 7, 2022, Meet Mack Monday Zoom Meeting.
- 10 January 2022: Pedestrian Safety, Arcadia U-turn (Notes)
- 22 November 2021: Pedestrian Safety (Notes & Audio Archive)
- 18 October 2021: Manager's Recommended 2022 Budget (Notes & Audio Archive)
- 20 September 2021: Toll Bros All Saints Cemetery Proposed Settlement, Hybrid Meetings (Notes & Audio Archive)
- August 9, 2021: Arcadia Land Development, Toll Bros New Plan, Wawa (Audio Archive)
- June 21, 2021: Starting the 2022 Budget Process Sooner, Wawa ZHB Hearing Summary, Arcadia Land Development Overview, Lower Dolington Trail Progress Report, How to Spend COVID Relief Funds (Video Archive)
- May 3, 2021: Wawa Update, Lower Dolington Trail Update, Preliminary Survey Results (Audio clips)
- March 11, 2021: Wawa, Doggy Dayz K9 Resort, Is 5G Safe?
- February 8, 2021: Arcadia III Settlement
- January 11, 2021: Why I Voted to Approve the 2021 Budget
- December 7, 2020: What Can Be Done to Limit a Tax Increase
- November 9, 2020: Continued discussion of the "Recommended" 2021 Budget
- October 26, 2020: Discuss Details of the "Recommended" 2021 Budget
- October 12, 2020: Arcadia Litigation, Proposed 2021 Budget
- September 21, 2020: 5-Year Financial Plan, E30 Use
- August 24, 2020: Toll Bros Plan
- July 6, 2020: Police Accountability
- May 11, 2020: Newtown BINGO! Helping Businesses During COVID-19
- April 20, 2020: Diversion of Tax Funds to Cover Deficit Spending
- March 9, 2020: Code Regarding Neglected Property
- February 10, 2020: Speeding on Mill Pond Road
- Other Agenda Items TBD